IMPORTANT NOTE

Hello, and welcome.
I would like to inform you that I AM MOVING.
...well, sort of. I have started a new blog, Oui Crochet, that focuses just on crochet, crochet patterns, and crochet resources. I am in the process of building it up as a one stop shop for all things crochet, and I am very excited about it. I hope you will come over and check out my progress. :)
I will be moving my patterns from this site, to my new site. My idea is to leave this site active, so that you can still access other aspects of this site. I will also leave a modified "introduction" post where each pattern is on this site, as to keep all links active and make it so that you can easily locate the pattern's new home. As an added bonus, you will also find new printable/downloadable versions of my patterns.
I apologize for any inconvenience, but I assure you, this change is a positive one. I look forward to seeing you at Oui Crochet.
Happy Crocheting!


Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Chile Verde

I love Mexican food!
Remember that Easy Red Chile for Burritos recipe that I posted before? If not, take a peek. I'll wait.
...................

Back? Looked yummy didn't it? It was!
Now, check this out!


Sometimes I am in the mood for green chile instead of red. Chile Verde is one of my favorite things to make. I not only love the flavor, but I love how it makes the kitchen (and whole house) smell when I am roasting those chiles and garlic! YUM!

You can roast chiles a few different ways. Some people do them directly on or over a stove burner, others "dry fry" them in a skillet. I like to stick them in a pan under the broiler. I throw the garlic cloves (peel and all)  in there, along with the tomatillos (I do take the outer husk off of those, first).
Just watch them. Make sure they blacken without burning. Turn them, so that all sides are nice and roasted.
When finished, put the chiles in a bowl and cover it for about 10-20 minutes to let them "sweat". This makes the skins much easier to remove.

Once the skins are removed, you'll want to seed the chiles... or is it de-seed?  Either way, take the seeds out, well, most of them. The seeds are what gives it the heat, so remove them to your taste.
DO NOT TOUCH THE SEEDS.
Seriously.
Don't.
You can simply avoid them, or you can wear rubber gloves. Just don't touch.

Now that I've got that out of the way, how about a peek at the recipe!

Chile Verde

What You Need:
Meat:
2-3 lbs pork cut into ½ in. to 1 in cubes or into thin strips, (a lot of people use pork shoulder or butt, but I like to use the steaks, I guess they’re shoulder steaks, but it’s just easier to cut. Use whatever cut you want)
ground cumin
salt
garlicpowder

Sauce:
6 Anaheim chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded  (do not be intimidated by the size... you'll want to use all of them.)
6 cloves garlic, roasted, peeled,
4-6 medium sized tomatillos, husks removed, roasted, and cut up

What You Do:
1. Season the pork with ground cumin, salt, and garlic to taste, then fry it up in a bit of oil, in batches, until it is barely cooked through.

2. Process the sauce ingredients in a food processor until it’s the consistency of chunky salsa.


3. Put the sauce in a large pan and add the meat. I like to put a little water in the pan that I fried the pork in to get all the yummy bits, then I pour that into the verde. If the sauce seems too thick, add a little more water. Let the meat lightly simmer in the sauce, covered for about 30 minutes, or until tender.


Serve with tortillas.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback from my readers!
Please feel free to leave a comment or share your ideas!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...